History

History HC AMVJ


The foundation AMVJ was founded on November 17, 1909. AMVJ hockey was founded on October 1, 1922. On May 6, 2007 the youth department of AMVJ hockey was (re) founded. HC AMVJ now has about 1500 members.

Establishment of AJMV

On November 17, 1909, the 'Amsterdam Young Men's Association' was founded.


The AJMV (the predecessor of AMVJ) is founded after the example of the American YMCA (founded in 1855). On November 18, 1918 (1 week after the end of the First World War) the 'Amsterdam Society for Young Men' (AMVJ) was founded.


The Central Building was opened on 11 May 1928. Hundreds of members could live in this building, on the corner of Vondelstraat and Leidschebosje. Today the Barbizon Center Hotel is located here.

The central building on the Leidsebosje

At the end of the seventies, that building complex was sold for more than seven million guilders. The sports clubs on the Loopveld were all in need (except the tennis club) and the socio-cultural work in the 'Central Building' on the Leidsebosje languished. Moreover, more than fifty people worked in the hotel, which meant that AMVJ had heavy obligations, including wages, pensions, etc. In short, too heavy burdens and too great risks for an omni-sports association. If the building complex had not been sold then, there would probably no longer be an AMVJ, but only a tennis club under that name.

The old logo

The original logo had the colors orange and black. After the Second World War, the colors of AMVJ were adapted and the now familiar burgundy red was introduced. The reason for this switch was the NSB, which also used the colors orange and black. The logo was based on that of the YMCA.

Concordia and the Amsterdam Forest

HC AMVJ was founded under a different name. On October 1, 1922, the combined hockey and football association is given the name 'Concordia'. It has probably been played under the name HC AMVJ since 1938.


Until the 1970s, AMVJ played in the Amsterdamse Bos. The current VRA clubhouse was AMVJ's clubhouse and it overlooked its fields. The grass fields that are still there (part of which is artificial grass) and where VRA, Pinoké, Hurley and Amsterdam play were the fields of AMVJ hockey and football. In the Amsterdamse Bos, the first illuminated artificial grass hockey field was laid next to our clubhouse.

Relocation and the youth department

In August 1975, AMVJ moves from the Amsterdamse Bos to its current location on the Loopveld.


Around 1984/1985 it was also decided to stop the youth section due to the lack of members. The youth section was re-established on May 6, 2007.

Today

At the moment, AMVJ has 1 water field, 2 semi-water fields and 1 sand field (the latter field is shared with hockey club VVV). All these fields are rented from the municipality of Amsterdam.


HC AMVJ currently has about 1500 members, with a good balance between the junior and senior branches!


The club building is used multifunctionally, not only by hockey but also by AMVJ football, tennis and table tennis. Chris, Rodney and other staff can be found behind the bar: the clubhouse is managed by the AMVJ foundation.


Share by: